THE FRANCIS MARION HOTEL
The historic Francis Marion Hotel, named for the Revolutionary War hero Francis Marion, the �Swamp Fox,� has a long tradition of gracious service, elegant accommodations, and hosting splendid banquets and events dating back to its opening in 1924. Built by local investors at a cost of $1.5 million from plans by noted New York architect W.L. Stoddard, the Francis Marion was the largest and grandest hotel in the Carolinas. The 1920s was the Golden Age of railroads, radio and grand hotels, and the Charleston Renaissance was in full bloom and the Francis Marion Hotel was �the place to be�.
Meticulously restored in 1996 with a $12 million National Trust for Historic Preservation award winning restoration, the Francis Marion Hotel now combines 1920�s style and grace with 21st Century comfort and convenience in the heart of historic Charleston on Marion Square. Rising 12 stories, many of the Hotel�s 235 guestrooms and suites offer spectacular views of Charleston�s historic harbor, church steeples and legendary King Street. The Francis Marion Hotel, with its central downtown location, is an easy walk to the antebellum homes, magnificent gardens, antique shops and boutiques, and world-class restaurants.